Midlands Sylvan Learning Centers announce July Summer Camps
Monday, June 29th, 2020
Parents looking for summer camps that will help their children become more confident in their math and science skills may have luck looking at Sylvan Learning Center’s camps in Columbia or Irmo this July.
“One of the new aspects of the popular Sylvan summer camps is there will be online sessions, which allow for families traveling or on the go to be able to take part in the sessions remotely,” said Amy Gardner, the franchise owner for Sylvan Learning in the Midlands.
“If you are looking for ways to introduce your child to new and fun experiences, our camps and workshops not only engage the mind, but are designed to have a lasting impact outside the classroom,” Gardner said. “We have great options for school breaks, summer camps and special weekends. We offer a small group environment where your child can bring friends or make new ones.”
The following camps will be offered online in July:
● Online LIVE Writing Camp (Gr. 4-6): The Online Live Writing Camp for grades four through six allows students to practice and learn more about composition, editing, and publishing. This class will be held through Zoom from June 29 through July 29. The group will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-3 p.m.
● Online LIVE Writing Camp (gr.7-9): The Online Live Writing Camp for grades seven through nine gives students the opportunity to enhance their writing skills through composition, editing, and publishing. It will be held on Zoom from June 30 to July 30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
● Creative Coding-LIVE Online: This camp is designed to allow students between third and fifth grade practice and enhance their coding skills through a creative outlet. They will be coding projects in art, music, and math. The camp will be held from July 6 through 10 on Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m.
● Python Coding- LIVE Online: This camp is designed for students between sixth and eighth grade who have some coding experience already and want to gain more. Students will learn Python coding through puzzles and will create their own games. The camp will be held from July 6 through 10, Monday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m.
● College Reading Strategies-LIVE Online: The College Reading Strategies camp is for students who are entering or already in high school. Students will become more prepared for a high school workload and will enhance reading skills such as speed, comprehension, and recall that can help boost their ACT or SAT scores. It will be held from July 18 until August 22 on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m
● Online Money Club: The Online Money Club camp allows students between seventh and twelfth grade to engage in live, online discussions and activities to prepare for the responsibilities that come with adulthood, especially financial ones. The camp runs from July 20 through the 31 on Monday through Friday from 1-3 p.m.
The following camps will be offered in person in July
● Math Edge Camp: The Math Edge Camp is for students between second and sixth grade who need to build on the confidence and critical skills needed for math today. The camp will run from July 13-16, Monday through Thursday from 1-3 p.m.
● Algebra Camp: The Algebra Camp is a skill practice camp for students in pre-algebra or algebra 1. It will be held from July 13 through 16, Monday through Thursday from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
Additional camps may be offered in August. To learn more and register for these camps or camps later in the Summer, go to /locations.sylvanlearning.com/us/columbia-sc/schedules (Columbia) or /locations.sylvanlearning.com/us/columbia-irmo-sc/schedules (Irmo)